Dodger is a tank engine from the Great Northern Railway that works at Vicarstown Coal Mines.
GNR Class J23/LNER Class J50/51
Sir Nigel Gresley
Arrived on Sodor
Dodger was built at Doncaster in 1914, and worked at Ardsley until the breakout of the Second World War. During that period, he worked at various places during the war including York and Ardsley. In the eighteenth season, it is revealed he was almost burned when a raid happened. He returned to Ardsley after the war, and at Nationalization was allocated to Doncast until 1950 when he was bought by the Fat Controller to help out at Vicarstown Coal Mines. But the following year, he was buried in an avalanche and was rewarded an overhaul, and a permanent stay at the Mines. He has had several other adventures such as one notable avalanche in 1991. Later that year, he was temporarily put in charge of the Kirk Ronan Branch Line with 'Arry and Bert until Russell was built.
On Christmas Eve 2013, he bravely took on a task to bring the needy their baked puddings to Cronk, whilst on one piston. He was taken to Crovan's Gate on Boxing Day, where he had a long heavy overhaul until April 15th, when he was back into working order, just in time to celebrate his 100th birthday along with Thomas and Toby.
Dodger is a very cheery tank engine who does not mind how dirty his work he is, and always struggles to get the job done. He enjoys working with trucks, something most of the other engines do not understand. He is a good friend to everyone, and is glad to help them in any situation. He is well respected, because he does provide the steam engines with the coal they need, though sometimes he is looked down at, and doesn't necessarily get the appreciation he should. He is very playful and enjoys teasing the other engines, James, in praticular, although he does get along with him very well. He is also considered brave among the engines.
He is currently in NWR black with 68899 on his cab and the Vicarstown Coal Mines logo on his tanks. Before, arriving on Sodor, he was painted BR black with red lining and the BR "cycling lion" logo on his tanks, and the number 68899 on his cab. During the war he was painted in war time unlined black and "NE" on his tanks in white, and his number, 3167, in white on his cab.
He is based on a Gresley J50 (GNR Class J23) 0-6-0T engines. He was a smaller prototype J51/1 until 1930.
- Season 8- Henry, James, and Nexus.
- Season 10- Christmas Preparations, Tree Trouble, Snow (non-speaking role), Christmas Eve Crisis, Christmas Day (cameo), Bad Ballast (mentioned), and New Year Problems.
- Season 11- Nix the Loaned Engine, The Unstoppable Nix (non-speaking role), Nix and the Troublesome Boys (cameo), Night Engine, Edward Returns, and Dennis' Visit.
- Season 12- Diesel Does it Again, David's Restoration, Bowled Out, Percy's Important Job, Dirty Percy, A Surprise for Percy, and Freedom at Last!
- Season 13- Enterprising Engines Part 1 (cameo), Enterprising Engines Part 2, New Friends, Old Enemies (non-speaking role), and Paxton and Norman.
- Season 14- Edward to the Rescue (non-speaking role), and Nix and the Flying Kipper.
- Season 15- Points of No Return, Thomas' Christmas Party, Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree, and The Fireworks Display.
- Season 16 - Dodger and the Avalanche, Dodger's New Routine, Edward and Rocky, New Challenges, Thomas and the Great Railway Show Part 1 (non-speaking role) and Faithful Coaches (mentioned).
- Season 17 - Sir Topham Hatt's New Car, The Three Little Engines Part 1, The Three Little Engines Part 3, The Football Special, and Wildfire.
- Season 18 - Night Bombing and James and Percy.
- Season 19 - Rescue Mission, Most Beautiful Station, Hard Work and Middle Engines.
- Season 20 - Twin Trouble, The Special Delivery, Sir Topham Hatt's Birthday Present, Underappreciated and Ceremonium.
- Dodger the Coal Mines Engine
- Delete the Mixed-Traffic Engine- Laugh While You Work, and A Special Treat.
He also appeared in David's Biography.
- Percy and Kevin's Adventure
- Nix's Determination
- The Case of the Missing Engines
- The Restoration of Vicarstown
- Unlike most characters in Adventures on Rails, Dodger's number was real. The engine possessing this number was scrapped in 1961 at Stratford Works.
- Dodger has joint ownership with the North Western Railway and Vicarstown Coal Mines.
- Thanks to The LNER Encyclopedia, Rail UK, and BR Date Base for information on BR No. 68899. Also thanks to The LNER encyclopedia for GNR No. 167 at Doncaster